Corpses are required by a number of skills and modifiers:
However, none of these can be used on the following, since no corpse can be selected:
Additionally, Fetish Shaman does not leave a corpse (although supporting Fetish does), and Frozen Horrors shatter upon death without leaving corpses (as can any other monster that is chilled or frozen at time of death). However, the death explosions of Bone Fetishes, Suicide Minions and Fire Enchanted Unique monsters do not prevent a corpse from being generated and used.
Some more specific restrictions apply:
- Find Potion and Grim Ward cannot be used on the following due to lack of flesh, or bones (they aren't flagged as soft in MonStats2.txt):
- Summoned Dire Wolf cannot eat the following:
- Blood Hawk Nest
- Gargoyle Trap
- Tentacle Beast
- Carrion Vine and Solar Creeper cannot consume Gargoyle Trap.
- Static units (all of which are listed among the above) cannot be used to summon Necroskeletons, Necromages or Revived, or reanimate as Returned.
- Monsters to which effects altering AI do not apply cannot be revived (although they can be reanimated as Returned):
- Leaper also cannot be revived (although again, they can be reanimated as Returned).
Otherwise, the only restrictions on corpse selection are other players and monsters that try to use them first:
Consequently, even if corpses aren't used for their own sake, they can be used to prevent them being used against players and their allies: once a corpse has been used, it cannot be used again.