Overlay when mana is returned.
Damage Taken Goes to Mana returns mana to a player character equivalent to a percentage of final attack damage applied: if no damage is applied then no mana is returned. It does not divert damage from life to mana, or reduce damage to life in any way.
- It only applies to final attack damage to life of any attack, regardless of type (physical, magic, fire, lightning, cold, and the first frame of poison damage). 
- Although most monster attack damage is delivered by an obvious melee or ranged attack (arrow, bolt, dart, javelin, quill or throwing weapon), there are some notable exceptions to which this applies nonetheless:
- Damage added by Champion and Unique bonuses is added to attack damage, so mana can also returned by this damage.
- Mana returned is calculated before any healing from Absorb: final damage is calculated, mana is returned, healing and then final damage are applied to life. 
- Mana is returned after Energy Shield diverts damage from life to mana: ES expires when more mana is lost than a Sorceress currently has, even if Damage Taken Goes to Mana fully compensates for it afterwards. 
- Mana is returned before mana damage is applied: bear in mind that Wraiths and Willowisps do not have 100% chance to apply mana damage with their attacks, unlike Mana Burn Unique monsters (and their minions in Nightmare and Hell).