You are a worthy hero! We augment your skill and grant you entry to the interior of Mount Arreat, wherein lies the Worldstone.
Beware. You will not be alone. Baal the Lord of Destruction is already inside.
The Archangel Tyrael has always been our benefactor, but even he cannot help us now. For Baal blocks Tyrael's spiritual presence from entering the chamber of the Worldstone. Only you, mortal, have the power to defeat Baal now.
Baal threatens the Worldstone -- and through it, the mortal realm, itself. You must stop him before he gains full control of the sacred stone. With it under his control, Baal could shatter the boundaries between this world and the Burning Hells, thus allowing the hordes of the Prime Evils to pour forth into the mortal realm like an unstoppable tide!
If you are weak, the world as you know it could be lost forever. You must NOT fail!
- The Ancients
can be found on dais at back of throne room to northeast, at opposite end to entrance in southwest. Entrance can be dangerous depending on what monsters (if any) spawn in vicinity.
- Baal is standing in front of portal on raised dais at back of throne room. He cannot be targeted or harmed, but he can cast Decrepify on anything in the top half of the throne room, and will start summoning his minions once all other monsters in throne room have been killed or lured to very bottom of throne room or beyond (Baal will dispose of corpses before summoning minions).
- Baal will summon five separate Super Unique monsters in succession: he will not summon the next until Super Unique and all accompanying minions and monsters are killed or lured to very bottom of throne room or beyond. Corpses will be disposed of when last monster of each wave is killed, so use them beforehand or lure monsters to bottom half of throne room to prevent their disposal.
- First two Super Unique monsters summoned are ranged, making it difficult (or at least time consuming) to lure them: they will have to be killed.
- Last three Super Unique monsters can be lured to very bottom of throne room if necessary (although they should really be lured beyond throne room if this tactic is to be used more than once).
- If poisoned by Achmel the Cursed or minions, it is advisable to cure character and mercenary before facing following waves: drink Antidote Potion, return to Harrogath to be healed by Malah, or use Cleansing if a Paladin (or allied with one).
- Ventar the Unholy will not be summoned before expiry of Hydras summoned by Bartuc the Bloody and minions.
- Altering AI of Minions of Destruction is not possible, although stun length still applies. Although their Smite attack does not always hit, can be blocked and applies no +% Damage, it can be extremely dangerous for melee characters and mercenaries.
- Although Throne of Destruction and Baal's minions can contain monsters immune to every damage type, none can be both Immune to Physical and Immune to Lightning. Conversely, characters specialising in Poison Damage may have trouble overcoming Achmel the Cursed, Ventar the Unholy and Lister the Tormentor.
- Once all minions have been killed or lured to very bottom of throne room or beyond, Baal will go through portal behind him to Worldstone Chamber: once he has left, player may follow him. However, portal is one-way so do not do so before gathering everything from Throne of Destruction; otherwise, only way to return is by casting Town Portal in Worldstone Chamber to return to Harrogath, take waypoint to Worldstone Keep Level 2 and travel back down again.
Players find themselves in east wing of Worldstone Chamber; Baal
is found on walkway to Worldstone in center of chamber, and he will start casting his curses
and Festering Appendages
as he is approached.
is a boss
and the last Prime Evil
. Note that the Demon tag under his name is off-center: this can be used to distinguish him from his clone (Demon tag is centered).
- When killing Baal for the first time he has improved chances of dropping higher quality items. He also has a chance to drop Festering Essence of Destruction required to transmute Token of Absolution in Horadric Cube, used to respecialise, reassigning attribute and skill points.
- Upon his death, chamber starts to shake and debris falls from ceiling. Tyrael also descends and delivers following speech:
I am impressed, mortal. You have overcome the greatest challenge this world has ever faced and defeated the last of the Prime Evils. However, we are too late to save the Worldstone. Baal's destructive touch has corrupted it completely.
Given enough time, the Worldstone's energies will drain away and the barriers between the worlds will shatter -- the powers of Hell will flood into this...Sanctuary...and eradicate your people and everything you've labored to build.
Therefore, I must destroy the corrupted Worldstone before the powers of Hell take root. This act will change your world forever -- with consequences even I cannot foresee.
However, it is the only way to ensure mankind's survival. Go now, mortal. I have opened a portal that will lead you to safety. May the Eternal Light shine upon you and your descendants for what you've done this day. The continued survival of mankind is your legacy! Above all else, you have earned a rest from this endless battle.
- Tyrael opens portal to Destruction's End: go through it to view final cinematic, or simply save and exit game. Completing Normal allows access to Nightmare games, while completing Nightmare allows access to Hell games. Titles are added to character name depending on difficulty level completed and game type: