You have done well, my friend. Your courage and valor are an inspiration to us all.
But now the time has come to face those responsible for the evil that has stifled our land. You must destroy the High Council of Zakarum!
Long ago, these elders were charged with the stewardship of Mephisto, the Lord of Hatred, who was imprisoned within the Guardian Tower.
Through the generations, these pious men slowly fell more and more under the sway of Mephisto's malevolent power and the Council became an evil mockery of its former glory.
It is Mephisto's Hatred that has corrupted Zakarum and turned its devout followers into paranoid fanatics. That is why you must travel to the Temple City of Travincal and slay the Council.
Once they are gone, Mephisto's hold over this land and its people will be broken!
always have same layout, with waypoint
to left of causeway and Blackened Temple containing Compelling Orb guarded by High Council at opposite end.
- Activate waypoint before approaching the Blackened Temple. First sign that High Council have been alerted is normally casting of Hydra: while these pets only apply 17% damage to players, their sheer numbers can result in significant amounts of cumulative damage.
- ~9% (1/11) chance of Toorc Icefist becoming Immune to Cold (115%) in Nightmare when Magic Resistant.
- ~9% (1/11) chance of Geleb Flamefinger becoming Immune to Fire (115%) in Nightmare when Magic Resistant.
- Ismail Vilehand is the only one whose second immunity (if any) has not already been determined in Hell:
- ~16% (18/110) chance of becoming Immune to Physical (100%) when Stone Skin (Lightning Enchanted or Cold Enchanted is not selected first).
- ~15% (17/110) chance of always being Immune to Fire (195%) when Fire Enchanted (SS, LE or CE is not selected first).
- ~16% (18/110) chance of becoming Immune to Lightning when LE (108%), Spectral Hit LE (128%) or MR LE (148%).
- ~16% (18/110) chance of becoming Immune to Cold when CE (108%), SH CE (128%) or MR CE (148%).
- Try to lure them away to fight them one at a time, due to potential of Unique bonuses to enhance multiple Council Members. Even in Normal, can be dangerous to have been cursed by Ismail Vilehand while fighting Extra Strong Geleb Flamefinger and his minions, particularly when FE explosion damage is applied. There is normally a Well nearby which can be used to remove curse.
- Once all three have been killed (minions do not have to die to complete quest), return to Kurast Docks to ask Deckard Cain for help.
Ridding Kurast of the Council of Zakarum was essential. Still, there is more you must do. The Compelling Orb, too, must be destroyed.
Diablo and Baal must be close to finding their brother, Mephisto, by now. You've no time to waste.
- Deckard Cain
- Khalim's Flail is always dropped by the first of the three killed, which is needed to complete Khalim's Will and destroy Compelling Orb.
- If player does not have Horadric Cube, one will be dropped by the second of the three killed.
- It is popular to run High Council for runes and gold, as they are quickly accessible from Travincal waypoint and have reasonable odds.