...And so it came to pass that the Countess, who once bathed in the rejuvenating blood of a hundred virgins, was buried alive... And her castle in which so many cruel deeds took place fell rapidly into ruin. Rising over the buried dungeons in that god-forsaken wilderness, a solitary tower, like some monument to Evil, is all that remains.
The Countess' fortune was believed to be divided among the clergy, although some say that more remains unfound, still buried alongside the rotting skulls that bear mute witness to the inhumanity of the human creature.
- The Moldy Tome
The Moldy Tome can be found in Stony Field
, although it is not necessary to find it to trigger quest.
Take waypoint to Dark Wood, then find and follow path to exit to Black Marsh: search it for ruins of Forgotten Tower. If waypoint is not found while doing so, it is advisable to find and activate it before going underground. Alternatively, cast Town Portal and return to path, following it through Black Marsh, Tamoe Highland and Monastery Gate to activate waypoint in Outer Cloister before returning via portal.
Enter ruins to descend ladder into Forgotten Tower.
Tower Cellars have five levels: The Countess is found in Tower Cellar Level 5. Preceding four Tower Cellar levels can normally by navigated most quickly by turning left.
- Each of the following has 75% chance of spawning on any of Tower Cellar levels:
Tower Cellar Level 5
only has two possible layouts. The Countess
always spawns either in chamber at opposite end to entrance, or one of the two halls leading to it.
- ~9% (1/11) chance of becoming Immune to Fire (115%) in Nightmare when Magic Resistant.
- When she spawns within room, may be possible to lure minions away to deal with them individually. Alternatively, use doorway(s) to restrict numbers that can attack (although she can cast fire walls at entrance(s) to her chamber to discourage this).
- Upon killing The Countess for the first time, sealed chest in room opens and showers gold and items all over floor.
- In Expansion, her Treasure Class is divided between Countess Item and Countess Rune: up to five picks are made from Countess Item, then up to three picks are made from Countess Rune. Since maximum six items can be picked in total, 2-3 runes may only be picked from Countess Rune when 1-2 picks from Countess Item result in no drop (there is also chance of no drop(s) being picked from Countess Rune). Highest runes that can be picked are as follows:
- Although she cannot drop highest runes, she has much higher chance of dropping runes from her Countess Rune TC than other monsters, making her popular to run for runes needed for crafted items and Horadric Cube recipes (particularly since she is also run for Key of Terror in Hell, which is needed for Pandemonium Event).